Saturday, April 17, 2010

1:1 Initiative

I mentioned last time that I would find out my student teaching placement at the end of the week.  Well, I found out...and low and behold, I got the city I wanted.  It was more the closeness than for the school district itself...although I am looking forward to teaching in a larger district.  So my week ended on a high note!

In the meeting, I found out a few of the districts (not my district) in my center are in the process of going to the 1:1 initiative.  For those who don't know, the 1:1 initiative is the program where the district, usually by some kind of grant, supplies each student with a laptop.  Usually, this is for middle school and high school students.  This is where education is going in the 21st century.  The possibilities for teaching are limitless!  I can't tell you how much stress it causes for teachers to worry about their students who don't have internet access.

But the 1:1  causes some problems...how do you regulate what students can look at?  Do you get macs in order to save the computer from viruses?  Are they insured?  In the end as with most programs in education, it all comes down to money, money, money! 

Can you think of any other issues(or benefits) that are caused by the 1:1 initiative?

No comments: