Friday, October 9, 2009

Beauty au natural

     If you look at any typical college campus, you will most likely see girls wearing sweat pants, uggs, and too much make-up (or in some cases none at all).  I have never been a typical college girl and in the last year I have gotten even more different.
     I am not a big make-up chick but I usually wear foundation.  Recently, I decided I wanted to switch to organic make-up because of all the things they put in make-up.  Unfortunately, I'm still a poor college student who doesn't want to spend $45 on foundation.  Luckily, I found Physicians Formula organic make-up at target for about $13.  I also use their powder sometimes as well.
     Baking soda is your friend!  I use a baking soda/water paste for pimples.  Baking soda also makes your skin silky smooth.  In the last few months, I stopped shampooing and conditioning my hair (in the traditional sense).  Here is my nightly ritual: I take a small container (reused from my mom's tupperware drawer) put a tablespoon of baking soda in.  Mix in two tablespoons of water and stir.  This is a paste and should be sort of thick.  Then I take my apple cider vinegar, one tablespoon, and put it in a squirt bottle.  I mix in around four tablespoons of water and shake, shake, shake.  Once I'm in the shower, I just massage the baking soda mixture into my scalp.  I typically leave it in for a little while then rinse well!  Then I just squirt the apple cider vinegar into my hair and run my fingers through.  FYI, if you don't throughly rinse out all the baking soda, you will have a volcano effect on your head.  The reaction to the vinegar will cause bubbling.  This won't hurt you...I've done it a few times.
     I am trying to eliminate all harsh/unnecessary chemicals from my (simple) beauty regiment.  Need some different ideas?  I also find Planet Green: Fashion & Beauty so helpful.  Try some natural beauty treatments.  My next project is a sugar exfoliator.  Does anyone have some natural beauty treatments they'd like to share?  I would love to hear them!!

No comments: