Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lucky Lupus Liver

     When I was pregnant, I was unbelievably sick.  I really can't even describe how awful I felt.  I suffered from chronic headaches and eventually started twitching.  My head and neck would move uncontrollably.  I was told by one doctor it was nerves and hormones.  My mom, bless her heart, did so much research.  That summer she figured out that I had Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS).
     The morning my son was born I went into the hospital with vomiting, high blood pressure and massive swelling.  It turns out my kidneys and liver were shutting down and Little Man's heart rate was dropping.  I had really, really bad Preeclampsia.  I ended up having an emergency c-section two months before my due date.  My son was 3 pounds 11 ounces when he was born...the reason why I call him Little Man.  It took over a week in the hospital and I was finally well enough to go home.  A hematologist diagnosed me with APS and prescribed me blood thinners.  I just celebrated my five year anniversary with my blood thinners this summer.
     A few years later, I saw a rheumatologist and he diagnosed me with Lupus.  Most likely, my APS is just part of my Lupus.  This is a super fast version of my diagnosis!
    Living with Lupus is a lot harder than being diagnosed.  I have arthritis in both hands, my right knee, and left foot.  I have extreme fatigue.  I have flares about every three-four months.  My flares usually put me in bed.  There is no way of knowing when a flare will jump up or how long it will last. 
    Not everything is bad though.  I have a built in excuse to not do stuff.  I have a better appreciation for good days.  Oh and I was on the show Mystery Diagnosis when I was 18.

No comments: