Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Day in the Country is Worth a Month in Town

 
Streets of Philly

Angelala is currently stationed in Philadelphia PA for three weeks visiting Nick. Now before first coming out to Philadelphia in December of 2008, Minneapolis was the biggest city I'd ever been in.  And in those instances, I was sheltered to shopping malls and the like.  My first trip to Philly involved my first plane ride and a day trip to New York City.

Now, I've lived in rural Iowa all of my life.  Pig confinements are the stinkiest things I've had to deal with.  My mom and I regularly get stopped at the store by someone we know.  There is only one decent coffee shop in town. 

My extended, bi-yearly trips to Philly have really opened my eyes to the reality of city living.  Since I was a history major in college, the importance of Philadelphia on American history isn't lost on me.  I am truly lucky to see this city before entering a classroom to teach.  My first trip here was a history nerd's dream with the hot spots.  This is my third trip since then and I've done most of the history stuff.  I've been experiencing big city living these days. 

Today I went on a trip to the grocery store by myself to get a few things for dinner tonight.  Nick moved since I was here last I was here so this was  a new adventure for me.  I walked the five blocks or so to the store.  Not sure if you know this...but it is unbelievably hot in Philly!  I don't want to sound like a complete country bumpkin.  I'm not ignorant or (extremely) naive.  But the cultural difference is a huge change.  A Kosher section in the grocery store?! Not in Iowa.  I stood and stared at the matza balls.  Center City (basically downtown) and the olde city are the tourist-y places in the city.  The difference between those areas and the real Philadelphia is blatant. The picture above is a quick snap I took on my home from the store.  It was relatively clean compared to other streets in the neighborhood.  One thing I can't convey to you is the smell.....downtown smells rank.  In this neighborhood, the smell is like a carnival....sweat mixed with something sweet like a funnel cake mixed with gasoline.  The combination that makes your stomach roll after a few minutes of smelling it.

It amazing how one city can be so many different things to different people.  Two years ago, Philadelphia was a wonderful, exciting city  to me. To Nick, it was the means to end for an education.  To the tourists, walking through the historic district today....well it's a hot sticky mess full of Ben Franklin statues!

No comments: