Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Evolution of my Engagement Ring

I remember high school...sitting in study hall with a few friends at a computer ogling large, princess cut engagement rings. Rings that had fake personality. By fake personality, I mean they were busy enough to be interesting but seemed empty and manufactured.

As I grew older, my hippie-ness and love for all things old/vintage evolved as well.  But for some reason my picture perfect lifeless ring never changed.  As Nick and I started talking more and more about our future together and an eventual engagement, I did more research into rings.  This is when my perfect ring became tainted.  All of a sudden, it was critical to me that my ring not be a "blood diamond".  I informed Nick that I wanted a Canadian diamond, which are ethically mined, or a moissanite.  Moissanite is a lab created diamond which in my head is perfect but if you had suggested that to me five years ago, I would have looked at you appalled.  "A fake diamond?  Not on my hand, thank you very much."  The fact of the matter is that moissanite diamonds look exactly the same and why should that even matter....why do you even need a diamond engagement ring in the first place?  Because the Man tells you that's what you need...but I digress.  If you want to learn more about moissanite:  go here.  Because of the nature of the mining, Canadian (or any other ethical mining areas) diamonds are more expensive.  Moissanite is cheaper than natural diamonds.  I also informed Nick that I didn't want a very expensive ring.  I would be afraid to wear it.  What's the point of a huge ring?  To show everyone that you have money?  Thanks but I'm not that materialistic.

There are other types of rings that would have fit into my category of ethically appropriate rings which I always kept Nick in the loop of. An antique ring would be wonderful.  I started learning more about the categories of rings and the era they were created in.  I fell in love with art deco jewelry in general, not just the engagement rings.

At one point, I had seen and learned just about everything I needed to know on the jewelry I would even consider.  I had told Nick all the things I would like and why they were important to me.  In the end though, it would be his decision and I must say, he done good!  When Nick proposed, .I was so excited to hear that it came from an antique/estate jewelry store in upstate New York. 



Today I have been engaged for over four months.  I have yet to lose my ring and still regularly try on the matching wedding band, not so patiently waiting for the day when I can really wear it.  I still look at it with excitement and hope I will always feel that rush of glee when I look at it.  I often find myself thinking of the woman who wore it before I did, wondering what her story was and hoping that it was a happy one.  Since I got it, we have had happy and sad moments, moments where it was dunked in paint, fawned over my family and friends, and lovingly slipped over my finger by a wonderful man.
Here is the ring the night he proposed. :)

No comments: